History of Goodlettsville High School 1974
By Mr. Homer Coss
Goodlettsville school was organized in the fall of 1917 and is now the second oldest school in the Metro system (Hume-Fogg School being the oldest). The present campus was donated to the old Davidson County Board of Education, along with a home that was used that first year for classes. Tents were also set up for classes. The first graduating class was in 1921. Sometime prior to 1920, two frame buildings were built on the campus, one for the high school and one for the elementary school. A “crackerbox” gymnasium was used for both schools. Organized physical education did not come about until the 40’s.
In 1936, a new elementary school was built. The Joe Burns Gymnasium was built in 1937 and was remodeled around 1950. In 1945, the new high school building was built (what we now call the administration building), to accommodate 300 students. In the fall of 1956, a new elementary school was built at another location and GHS took over all of the elementary facilities. GHS retained the 7th and 8th grades, making it a six-year school.
The zoning area for GHS was the largest in the entire system, extending to the Cumberland River on Old Hickory Road, taking in all of Madison, to the city limits on Dickerson Road, and halfway between Dickerson Road and Whites Creek Pike.
GROWTH OF GRADES 9-12
1931 145 Students, 7 teachers
1941 217 Students, 11 teachers
1951 502 Students, 20 teachers, 1 principal
1964 1007 Students, 41 teachers, 1 principal and assistant
1974 1300 Students, 54 classroom teachers,
4 ½ secretaries, 3 administrators
Further plans are very indefinite, being held up by the Federal Court. There is no possibility of any building in this area until the courts approved such an action.
The Board of Education of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County would probably state it this way: Goodlettsville High School will be phased out June 3, 1986.